Sufi Mohammed ends peace camps in Swat
By Farzana Shah-Asian Tribune correspondent in Pakistan
Swat, 10 April, (Asiantribune.com): The chief of banned Tehreek-i-Nifaz e Shariat Mohammedi announced to end peace camps in Swat as a protest against what he called delaying tactics of federal government of Zardari in implementation of Islamic sharia regulations.
Addressing a press conference here Thursday, Sufi Muhammad said that the decision was taken as President Asif Ali Zardari did not sign the Nifaz e Adl Regulation 2009 despite passage of two months.
Sufi Mohammed, who had been camped out in the valley's main town of Mingora with hundreds of supporters, said they were leaving to protest Zardari's ‘negative attitude.'
"From now on, President Zardari will be responsible for any situation in Swat", said.
He said that the provincial government is sincere in complying with peace accord but the federal government does not want any such accord that according to him brings peace in the valley.
However, he declared that TNSM is not withdrawing from the Swat peace accord signed with provincial government of NWFP in February.
It is to be mentioned here that the peace deal was singed in February for implementation of Islamic laws in the restive Swat valley and other parts of Malakand division in North West Frontier Province.
The accord brought an end to 18-month violence in the valley which has claimed hundreds of lives.
- Asian Tribune -