Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2784

Radar info proves mortars fired at civilians were by LTTE: SL Army

Ruwan Weerakoon from Colombo

Colombo, 11 May, (Asiantribune.com): The news story carried by certain Foreign news agencies alleging that 378 civilians were killed and 1,122 injured due to artillery shelling by the Sri Lanka Army on a hospital at Vellamullivaikkal in Mullaitivu has been strongly denied by the Sri Lanka Army.

The news reports quoted a government doctor named Dr. V. Shanmugarajah working within the No Fire Zone. This raises doubts as to the veracity of the story. Sources say that the doctor had spoken to the journalist based in Colombo by a satellite phone.

The Health Ministry says that it has not provided any satellite (or sat) phones to any of the ministry officials in the conflict zone.

This raises doubts whether this Dr. V. Shanmugarajah is really a government doctor? If so, whether he has been forcibly detained to work for the LTTE. These types of sat phones are normally used only by the LTTE and it may have forced the doctor to speak to the journalist and relay false and distorted information to gain international attention, sources said.

Sri Lanka military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara says that they possess radar information to prove this fact. The spokesman told Asian Tribune that the LTTE who have positioned their mortar launchers in the previously declared 'Safe Zone' fired mortars towards innocent civilians in the re-demarcated 'New Safe Zone' this morning. The LTTE mortar fire had commenced around 9.00 am and continued till about 10.00 am.

The aim of this despicable false campaign was to portray to the outside world that the Sri Lankan army was still deploying heavy weapons to fire at the government declared ‘Safe Zone’.

Information obtained through the SL Army’s mortar locating radars or Artillery Radar, Electronic Ray Mechanism detected these mortar attacks as originating from within Tiger controlled areas in the Safe Zone. Electronic Ray Mechanism radar data can proof that LTTE Terrorist attack by mortars towards civilians.

Meanwhile, 685 civilians escaped from the clutches of the LTTE and reached army controlled areas in Karayanmullivaikkal civilians reached the troops in Mullaittivu north on Sunday (May 10) morning. When they reach the Government control area it was observed that four of those civilians had sustained serious gunshot injuries due to LTTE fire. They were rushed to Anuradhapura Hospital for further treatment.

LTTE leader V. Prabhakaran and his remaining second rung leaders are a desperate lot while being restricted to a mere 3 sq.km area within the safe zone and are taking cover behind civilians. They very well know that without the civilian shield, they do not stand any chance whatsoever against the military.

While forcibly detaining the civilians as hostages, the LTTE tells the world that the very same civilians do not want to leave the safe zone towards the government controlled areas. If this is the truth, then how come On 20th and 21 st of April nearly 200,000 of those civilians earlier in the No Fire Zone have crossed over to the military controlled areas?

Furthermore, LTTE communications intercepted by the military confirmed the truth behind the incident which occurred on Saturday (May 9) at 3.40 am. The conversation among the Tiger cadres further confirmed that the LTTE was forcibly keeping civilians under its captivity, preventing them from escaping its clutches.

The following communication among the LTTE cadres through their communication sets was intercepted by the Army Intelligence at 3.40 am on Saturday.

Sinduran: "Twenty captured, more are coming, cannot control, send more to control".

Priyalan: "Stop whatever way possible".

Again at 3.50 am the following conversation ensued:

Sinduran: Send a vehicle to send back captured twenty.

Anburasan: Milravan Master was sent with a vehicle.

Again at 6.15 am the following:

Thirumalai Master: How so many were injured?

Sinduran: Couldn't control, large number came, we had to fire at them.

The above dialogue among the Tiger cadres tells of the desperate attempts the LTTE resorts to keep the civilians with them as a cover. And every time it fails to prevent the fleeing civilians, it opens fire and spreads the canard through interested news agencies who are back for LTTE Terrorist to put the blame entirely on the Sri Lankan security forces.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this


.