Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2765

TNA MP Sivanesan was summoned to Kilinochchi by LTTE for secret meeting

Colombo, 07 March, ( Tamil analysts in Sri Lanka believe that K. Sivanesan, Member of Parliament (MP) of the LTTE-backed Tamil National Alliance (TNA) was killed by the Tamil Tigers. The LTTE has summoned Mr Sivanesan and another TNA MP for a briefing on Wednesday. According to political circles only Mr Sivenesan was free to go to Mankulam.

The LTTE summons TNA MPs from time to time and instruct them on the stands they should take in Parliament debates and media interviews.
Mr Sivanesan who received the LTTE summons on Wednesday, 24 hours before his death on Thursday afternoon in a claymore explosion inside the LTTE controlled area.

Analysts say that the LTTE while claiming that the group has the total control of areas beyond Vavuniya issues a statement immediately after the killing that an Army Special Forces unit blew up Mr Sivenesan’s vehicle.

The LTTE has used claymore mines in Vavuniya to kill armymen and policemen recently. Mr Sivanesan was driving near his home in Mankulam in the LTTE controlled area in the north when the blast occurred, killing him and his driver. The explosion took place at a place between Oamanthai and Puliyangkulam on A 9 road, which is completely under the LTTE and is guarded by Tamil Tigers.

Within hours of the explosion the LTTE announced that it was by the Army deep penetration unit. Pro-LTTE website Tamilnet, quoting LTTE military spokesman Rasiah Ilanthiraiyan said "his vehicle was precisely targeted, because there were several vehicles travelling along this road. It's another example of how the regime in Colombo acts."

Tamil analysts ask the question whether the army units could operate freely during day time in LTTE controlled areas. “This is definitely an inside job by the LTTE,” an analyst concluded.

The military denied any hand in the attack. "We don't know what exactly happened because it has occurred in an uncontrolled area," said military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara. "There are no deep penetration units operating in that area. We totally deny it."

Mr Sivanesan had attended a meeting in parliament on Wednesday and he left for Mallakam after the session was over.

Political analysts believe that the LTTE is desperate to get international help to stop the military advances in to Kilinochchi. Analysts say the military has the upper hand in the latest phase of the long-running war given superior air power and strength of numbers. After the defection of Eastern cadres of the LTTE, the organization lost the entire eastern province and in the last three months, the military advanced several kilometers into the LTTE held territory.

K. Sivanesan, born on 21 January, 1957, was General Manager of Northern Region Palm Development CO-OP society between 1996 and 2004, before being elected to Sri Lanka Parliament. He has worked as accountant of the palm development co-operative society's union of Jaffna and a secretary of Federation of popular association in Mallaavi, Vanni. He was a former student of Nelliyadi Maththiya Mahaa Viththiyaalayam.

Mr. Sivanesan leaves behind his wife and four children, 2 sons and 2 daughters. Mr. Sivanesan's driver, Periyannan Maheswararajah, 27, father of one, from Cheddikulam in Vavuniyaa, was killed on the spot. Sivanesan MP succumbed to his injuries while being rushed to Mankulam hospital. A 13-year-old cyclist, Arulnaathan Louisnathan, on A9 road was also injured in the attack.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this