Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by E-LANKA MEDIA(PVT)Ltd. Vol. 20 No. 82

Young Tamil Engineer killed by ‘Other Tamil Group’ when five million ransom failed

By Walter Jayawardhana

Colombo, 31 July, ( The body of a young Tamil Communication Engineer was exhumed after two Tamil suspects from ‘Other Tamil Group,’ confessed to the police that they were connected with the abduction of the victim for a ransom of Five million Rupees, Avissawella Police said.

The Kotahena police in the Northern part of the capital city Colombo and the Avissawella Police an adjacent district to Colombo where the body was buried after the kidnappers were refused the demanded ransom were jointly investigating in the case.

The Officer in Charge of the Avissawella police said after the abduction it had been blamed on the police and the security forces of the country.

The two Tamil suspects who confessed to the crime are suspected to be connected to a bigger gang who took away the 27 year old young engineer, Vigneswara Kadasaranath Mahodaral who passed out recently from a Southern Indian University in Chennai and waiting for a job. The kidnappers apparently thought they would be easily able to collect the ransom from the father of the deceased, who is a dentist. But he had told the kidnappers over the phone that he did not have that kind of money.

The Kotahena police said the young man was reported missing July 15 when he was returning from Wellawatte with his father.

The victim’s dentist father told the Kotahena police that from the disappearance of his son an unidentified caller on several occasions had demanded Five million Rupees for the son to be released. He simply did not have that kind of money.

The two suspects under arrest, Kannan and Seelan are from Mutwal, another area adjacent to Kotahena. One of the suspects a welder had once worked in a repair job of a gate at the dentist’s house was known to the victim‘s family.

One of them had frequented the Kotahena police in the guise of giving information to the police. Both of them were arrested July 28 by the Kotahena police and during the interrogation confessed to the crime, and led the Avissawella police to the burial place of the victim in a rubber plantation. The corpse had been badly attacked by wild lizards and sent to a police morgue after taking DNA samples following a magisterial inquest.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this