Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 723

“I am not Abu Jundal,” claims accused in Mumbai terror attack

From R. Vasudevan—Reporting from New Delhi
New Delhi, 08 December (Asiantribune.com):

The investigation into the 26/11 terrorist attack on Mumbai is likely to face a major roadblock, after the alleged handler of the attacks, Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal on Friday told the Sessions Court in Mumbai that he was not Abu Jundal and his confessional statement was taken forcibly.

Ansari, who is currently in Delhi’s Tihar jail, told the court in Mumbai through video conferencing that he had no relation with the name Abu Jundal and the name had been wrongly given to him.

His counsel Ejaj Naqvi, said that Ansari told the court that all allegations leveled against him were false.

“There was no confession given by him. He spoke what was told to him by the crime branch, which is investigating the case. He was under the pressure from them [crime branch] and was forced to make the statement,” said Naqvi.

Ansari also denied that Ajmal Kasab, the terrorist who was caught by the police alive, during the 26/11 terror attacks and was later hanged to death, identified him. “There was no identification parade and hence claiming that Kasab identified him will be wrong,” said Naqvi.

In August 2012, both were brought together in Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail, where Kasab allegedly identified Ansari as the handler of the 26/11 terror attacks on Mumbai. Ansari in his statement recorded before the magistrate in Mumbai said that he taught Hindi to Kasab and other terrorists before the terror attacks and also helped them to familiarize with the landscape of Mumbai. It was also alleged that he was present in the Karachi control room from where the attack was controlled.

Ansari was originally produced in the court on Friday in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case. He originally belongs to the Beed district in Maharashtra. After 2006, he escaped to Bangladesh and then to Pakistan. After the terror attacks on Mumbai, he was allegedly asked to move to Saudi Arabia on Pakistani passport. Following the hard rounds of negotiations with the Saudi Arabia, he was deported to India in June 2012.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this


.