Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 1585

With her discharge from hospital, Hillary Clinton seen in public since her hibernation December 7

By Daya Gamage - US National Correspondent Asian Tribune
Washington, DC. 04 January (

Smiling Hillary Clinton, Obama administration's top diplomat, emerged from the New York-Presbyterian Columbia Hospital holding her daughter Chelsea's hand with her broad-smile husband Bill closely behind to leave for her New York residence after being discharged.Clinton_discharged_from_hospital.jpg

The appearance marked the first time the Secretary of State, 65, had been seen in public since Dec. 7, when she spoke at a news conference in Belfast. Shortly after that event, she fell ill with a stomach virus that led to her fainting of dehydration and suffering a concussion.

She was discharged after three days of treatment for a blood clot in her brain.

"Her medical team advised her that she is making good progress on all fronts, and they are confident she will make a full recovery," according to a statement released by Clinton aide Philippe Reines. "She's eager to get back to the office, and we will keep you updated on her schedule as it becomes clearer in the coming days."

On Dec. 15, the State Department released a statement saying that the former First Lady had been "recovering at home and [would] continue to be monitored regularly by her doctors."

During one of her follow-up appointments, physicians discovered a clot behind her right ear, between her brain and skull. She was admitted to the hospital on Sunday, Dec. 30, but doctors said in a statement that there was no neurological damage.

The State Department had no comment about where Clinton went on her brief leave of absence from the hospital, but earlier on Jan. 2, a spokesperson said that she had been "quite active" communicating with her staff by phone.

Clinton was scheduled to be before the Senate intelligence committee to testify on the 'Benghazi debacle' on September 11 last year when Libyan militants stormed the American diplomatic post that caused the death of the American ambassador and three others when she fell ill. There was no indication whether she will still testify and when.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this