Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2731

UN and USA condemns the suicide attack by the LTTE at the IDPs reception centre

Colombo, 10 February, (Asiantribune.com): United Nations and United states of America have condemned the LTTE woman suicide cadres attack at IDPs’ reception centre yesterday at Suthanthirapuram located in the in the North of Visuvamadu.

The United Nations and the United States of America also have called on the LTTE to allow the civilians the freedom of movement.

The United States in a statement has said that it condemns yesterday’s suicide attack on a government center that was registering internally displaced persons who had managed to exit the conflict area in northern Sri Lanka.

The statement further said, "This apparent effort by the LTTE to discourage Tamils from leaving the conflict area killed and wounded many Tamil civilians.

"The United States calls on the LTTE to allow all civilians freedom of movement. The United States also urges the Government of Sri Lanka to ensure that all IDPs who leave the conflict area are registered and transferred in a transparent manner to temporary camps in accordance with international standards.

In the meantime, The United Nations has expressed its strong condemnations on Monday's suicide attack at a registration centre for civilians fleeing the fighting in northern Sri Lanka, which killed and wounded many civilians, including children.

The UN Press release further said, “The attack comes amid a growing humanitarian crisis in the northern part of the South-East Asian nation, where some 250,000 civilians are trapped by fighting between Government forces and the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

"The incident reportedly involved a female Tamil Tiger rebel who blew herself up at a registration centre in the Vishwamadu area of Mullaitivu district.

"The UN reiterates that civilians must be distinguished from combatants, and protected from the fighting, the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator in Sri Lanka said in a statement.

"It calls once again on the LTTE to separate its forces from civilians under its control.

“The statement noted that those killed had already been forced from their homes by fighting, and had endured terrible hardships.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other senior UN officials have repeatedly called on both the rebels and the Government to do all in their power to ensure safe passage for those fleeing the conflict zone, and to ensure the protection of civilians in accordance with international humanitarian law."

- Asian Tribune -

Share this


.