Delhi gang-rape case committed to fast track court
The Delhi gang-rape case was on Thursday committed to the fast-track sessions court for trial. Proceedings in the sessions court will begin on January 21.
"The magistrate has committed the case to the sessions court which is fast-track," Sadashiv Gupta, the lawyer for fruit-seller Pawan Kumar, told reporters outside a district court in south Delhi. The court would hold its first hearing on the case on January 21, Gupta added.
Meanwhile, Ram Singh, the prime accused in the December 16 gang-rape murder case, has demanded that the case be transferred outside the national capital to ensure an impartial hearing. Singh has said that he does not want the case to be heard in Delhi or Uttar Pradesh, and is open to it being heard in any other state. He has said that he will move the Supreme Court on this plea. This comes even as a Delhi court on Thursday extended the judicial custody of all the five accused.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Juvenile Justice Board reserved its order on the age of the minor accused in the case till January 28. On Tuesday, two school principals, former and current, of the minor accused appeared before the court. Their statements were recorded and the court reserved its order till January 28.
Five adults are accused of gang-raping a student on December 16 in a moving bus in New Delhi and then throwing her out. The victim died some days later as a result of the injuries.
- Asian Tribune -