Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2958

Ask the High Commissioner: can I visit the UK again if I return voluntarily after overstaying?

Colombo, 09 August, (

The British High Commission in Colombo published the 18th video in the “Ask the High Commissioner” series today.

In this video, John Rankin, the British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka and the Maldives, answers several questions he received from the general public.

In response to a question, he urged Sri Lankans who are overstaying their visas in the UK to return Sri Lanka under the voluntarily returns scheme currently underway. He also responded to another question about the UK’s views on the Weliveriya incident.

Video link:

The British High Commission in Colombo launched this video series in order to increase engagement with the public on issues pertaining to the UK’s relations with Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

The video is uploaded to the FCO YouTube page and featured on the British High Commission websites and the other social media channels.

People are invited to submit their questions for the videos, through the following methods:

•Post a query on the wall of the BHC Facebook page with the subject “Ask the High Commissioner”;

•Tweet a question to the @UKinsrilanka and @UKinmaldives twitter channels with the hash tag “#asktheHC”; or

•Send an email to with the subject “Ask the High Commissioner”.

- Asian Tribune -

diconary view
Share this