Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2762

German owned Sport Hotel attacked by a criminal gang for the second time within one week.

Sunil C. Perera in Colombo

Colombo, 10 December, ( The Hotel “Aquarius Sports Resort, Beach Road, Marawila” had been attacked for the second time within a week.

" Last night a gang of approx 15 to 20 “unmasked” men gutted down 12 rooms . The estimated damage goes in multi million SLR. At the time of the incident German and American guests were residing in the hotel, fearing for their lives. The incident happened at 01.10h on Wednesday 05th Dec 2007 – The Police was informed with 119 at 1.18h – the Marawila Police came at 1.35h together with our security who went to the Police Station to bring two Police officers to the site, since they were unable to come on their own, “ said Dr. Dietmar Doering, Chairman of the Aquarius Hotel.

"On Poya day, just one week ago 4 rooms of our hotel, which has been leased out to a local party, were smashed by which looks like the same or related gang. A driver of a Government Minister from the area had refused to pay a bill and a subsequent fight resulted in the destruction of our 4 hotel rooms and 2 shops in Marawila. Vehicles too were smashed. The total damage was around SLR 15 Million. A high level supported settlement subsequently resolved the dispute while none of the parties claimed damages from the other party, he said.

"We are now in progress of winding up all hotel related operations in Sri Lanka with immediate effect, since the lives or our guests, staff and securities are in great danger. Law and order is no longer in the hands or in control of the authorities here. We are also in progress of issuing warning notices to European Travel Trade Organizations based on the incidents which happened here last night, he explained.

"We are under the strong impression that all culprits are known to the relevant Police Station but no arrests had been done, either on the first incident or now at the second one. Should the first people be killed that appropriate action is taken by the authorities here? The American and German Embassy had been informed in the early hours of today. The American Consular instantly reacted and advised to be updated of the situation. The German Embassy was informed too but did not respond or reacted so far, he said.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this