Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2865

UANF released Customs officials

By Raymond R Kharmujai – Asian Tribune

Shillong, 14 May, ( After 17 days in captivity, the two abducted Customs officials were finally released on Saturday morning by the United A’chik National Front (UANF) militant outfit.

Personnel of the Border Security Force, personnel guarding the porous international Indo-Bangla border were the first to spot the two abducted Customs officials- Dharani Bora and Mrinal Sharma about 6.30 A.M today nearby a Dalu village in West Garo Hills district of Meghalaya, bordering Bangladesh.

On April 26 morning, armed UANF militants abducted Ghasuapara land Customs Superintendent, Dharani Bora and Customs Inspector, and Mrinal Sharma between Jakrokona and Baburambeel in South Garo Hills district, bordering Bangladesh while they were on the way to the Customs headquarter here.

Soon after the abduction, the UANF ultras whisked away the duo to their safe hideout in Haulaghat area under Mymensingh district of Bangladesh district. UANF Chairman, Nemosh Marak, reportedly demanded Rs.1.5 crore from the wife of Dharani Bora for their released.

However, it is not known whether any ransom amount was paid for their release, but Customs official’s here says, that the release was unconditional.

Confirming that the two Customs officials were released early Saturday morning nearby a village in the Indo-Bangla border, Meghalaya Director General of Police, W.R.Marbaniang however, said, it is not known whether any ransom amount was paid for their release.

“We are in the process of gathering information from Bora and Sharma on the 17 days captivity in UANF camp and their released”, Marbaniang added.

Earlier, the state police have raided a number of UANF hide-outs in South Garo Hills district and detained relatives of the UANF ultras, who acted as ‘’conduits’’ to collect ransom on behalf of the UANF militant outfit.

Customs Commissioner for North Eastern Region, Ringzing D Negi said the two abducted officials were released after New Delhi urged Dhaka to trace the two Indian officials who are under the captivity of the UANF militant outfit in Bangladesh.

“I have no idea whether any money was exchanged for their release, but apparently it appears that the UANF militants released them unconditionally following pressure from all fronts”, Negi said.

The Border Security Force also held two-rounds of flag meeting with the Bangladesh Rifles urging them to rescue the Customs officials from the UANF captivity. The Bangladesh Rifles along with the Bangladesh Police also launched a search operation, but the hunt failed.

The Customs and Central Excise Employees Welfare Association (CCEWA) put pressure on the UANF outfit by launching an indefinite suspension of 32 Land Customs station located at the Indo-Bangla and Indo-Myanmar border.

The suspension of the Customs Stations has badly affected both Indian and Bangladesh exporters and importers.

Meanwhile, the jubilant CCWEA members have decided to re-open all the 32 Land Customs Stations in the region from tomorrow, following the released of Bora and Sharma.

- Asian Tribune -

Share this