Skip to Content

Asian Tribune is published by World Institute For Asian Studies|Powered by WIAS Vol. 12 No. 2615

“Had no intention of killing the judge” – Main suspect Jeyanthan to police

Jaffna, 26 July, (

Sivarajah Jeyanthan 39yrs, the main suspect in the Nallur shooting case, told the police that he had no intention of killing the judge, but he had to settle a score with a three wheeler driver.

Jeyanthan who surrendered yesterday morning at the Jaffna Police Station said that the incident occurred due to a dispute between his brother and a three wheel driver and he interfered and ended up in a scuffle with one of the trishaw driver at the Nallur three wheel park.

He said that the deceased police sergeant had intervened and tried to settle it. At this juncture he (Jeyanthan) who had a heated argument with the Police Sergeant had grappled with him, grabbed his pistol and shot at him hitting his abdomen causing fatal injuries.

Jeyanthan said he was highly inebriated at the time having consumed liquor at his brother's Nallur residence.

Jeyanthan surrendered to the police yesterday.

The suspect had told police that he had been a member of the civilian brigade of the LTTE engaged in policing.

Jeyanthan was in the Cyber unit of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) from 1995 to 1998 and later when he requested for release from the outfit, he was given punishment and forced to serve as a cook for some time at their Iranaimadu camp.

Subsequently, he settled down at Mulankavi,l in the Vanni and married a woman from Mankumban located in the Jaffna peninsula and had 4 children. And by 2002 he moved with his family to Mankumban.

Whilst in Mankumban, he worked as a daily waged laborer and later he was an ice cream vendor.

During this period of time, he came across another woman from Velanai and started living with her and now have another set of 4 children. He continues to live at Ward No:4, Velanai and work as a driver of Kurikadduwan – Jaffna private bus service.

He said he has been charged with bigamy for marrying the present woman at the Kyts Courts and is paying maintenance to one woman.

Yesterday evening, the main suspect Jeyanthan was taken by the Police to the residence of the Jaffna Magistrate S. Sathieswaran and the Magistrate ordered him to be remanded till 8th of August.

In the meantime, the wife of the main suspect Jeyanthan denies her husband’s involvement with the Tamil Tiger outfit. She charged that the police are revealing wrong information about her husband and said he did not shoot anyone.

- Asian Tribune -

Sivarajah Jeyanthan
diconary view
Share this